For the longest time, transgenders have faced the worst of times. They have been denied opportunities and called names, and they have had a substandard life to call their own. Over the years, however, with the turn of the century and increasing awareness of humanism, transgenders are beginning to find a place for themselves in society.
To support transgenders in society and enable them to find dignity and respect in society, the government of India launched the Transgender ID card, which is now up for application on the official website.
People can now apply online for the gender certificate on the newly launched National Portal for Transgender persons. This portal has been set up with the Department of Social justice and Empowerment of the Central government.
About the scheme
The Transgender application form is now available on the website. This scheme allows transgenders to get their own application card which does not confine them to gender binaries anymore.
Through the portal, candidates can fill their Transgender ID card application form and can even monitor the status of their application which brings in a wave of transparency in the entire process.
How to apply for the scheme?
Transgenders can apply for the scheme in the following way:
- The applicant has to first visit the National Portal for Transgender Persons at http://transgender.dosje.gov.in/.
- At the homepage of the website, the applicant has to click on the “Don’t have an Account – Register here” link.
- The Transgender ID card registration form will pop on the screen in the following manner:
- The applicant is expected to log in at the homepage of the National Portal for Transgender Person through the link mentioned above. The login page will appear like this:
- The Applicant can enter their username and password which would be sent on their e-mail ID and click on the login button.
- The dashboard for getting the gender certificate will appear as shown here:
- In the new window that opens up, the applicant has to choose the category as “Transgender Certificate and Identity card”. Clicking on this option will open the Transgender ID card application form as shown herewith:
- The applicant is supposed to fill in details such as the name of the state, district, name, parent details, guardian name, Email ID, mobile number, gender assigned at birth, gender requested, date of birth, educational qualifications, source of income, and address details.
- The applicant would have to upload any one of the following documents: Aadhaar card / PAN card / Voter ID card/date of birth certificate/ration card/bank passbook/passbook / MNREGA card/caste certificate.
The applicant has to click on the “Save and Next” option to complete the Transgender ID card application form filling process.
By following these steps, the applicant can get their own Gender Identity card. This opens up avenues for transgenders in society and enables them to build a life full of dignity and respect.