Blindness or loss of sight can adversely impact the life of a person drastically. And while there are medical advancements in prosthetics available to heal blindness, nothing replaces the efficiency the human eye can offer. To create awareness about the importance of one’s eye and to enable better eye care, the government of Telangana has initiated a new scheme titled – Telangana Kanti Velugu scheme 2020.
Under this scheme, the government of Telangana will perform Universal eye screening of Citizens to treat refractive errors, cataracts, and several other ailments that can be cured or treated effectively with a timely diagnosis.
Not only will the scheme offer eye check-ups, but it will also offer spectacles and surgeries to treat several eye ailments.
The authorities will also maintain a database of the eye health profiles of citizens linked to their Aadhaar numbers and all services will be offered to the residents of Telangana free of cost and this scheme aims to benefit 3.50 crore residents.
Objective of the Telangana Kanti Velugu Scheme 2020
Some of the most important objectives of the scheme are:
- To conduct universal eye screening and vision tests for all citizens in the state of Telangana.
- In case the citizen has a refraction error, they will be granted spectacles free of cost.
- Surgeries will also be conducted in case of cataract, glaucoma, retinopathy, and several corneal disorders.
- In case the patient has vitamin A deficiency and eye infections, medicines will be provided to them free of cost
All services provided by the scheme are free of charge and the scheme aims to provide eye-related services to all residents of the state irrespective of their socio-economic status. The scheme will not rule out even a 30-day old newborn if she/he has a case of retinoblastoma.
This proves to be a huge step in the state of Telangana as statistics and surveys have suggested that around 30-40% of the people in the state suffer from eye problems.
Features of the Kanti Velugu scheme
Here are some of the salient features of the scheme:
- The scheme will conduct eye screening and vision tests for all citizens of the state of Telangana.
- It will provide corrective glasses to people free of cost.
- It will arrange the necessary equipment needed for surgeries and other treatments for the people of Telangana free of cost.
- It will provide medicines for people with eye ailments free of cost.
- It will educate people on the prevention of serious eye disabling diseases and symptoms they need to stay vary of.
Eyesight is one of the key senses to the overall well-being of a human. In the absence of sound eyesight, one’s life gets unimaginably hard, and getting by everyday activities may seem impossible. Bearing in mind the importance of eyesight and providing better eye care to people, the government of Telangana has undertaken an innovative measure that will not only encourage people to take care of their eyes on a more active basis.