Light is the symbol of progress and development. However, there still are several households all across the nation where this symbol of progress is far from shining. In order to bring light to every household in the state, the state government of Punjab has initiated an innovative scheme – the Punjab State Power corporation limited (PSPCL) Kifayati LED bulb yojana, 2021.
Objective of the scheme
The primary objective of the scheme is to offer lighting solutions to Below Poverty Line households in Punjab, to Scheduled caste and other Backward class backgrounds. The PSPCL has ear-marked a total amount of ₹8.63 crores for the implementation of this scheme.
Under the implementation of the Kifayati scheme, each eligible consumer from the BPL, SC and BC categories who are availing electricity subsidy having sanctioned load up to 1kW would be provided with 2 LED bulbs at ₹30.
Eligibility criteria for Kifayati LED bulb yojana
- The applicant must be an electricity consumer from the Punjab State Power Corporation Limited.
- The applicant must belong to either the Below Poverty Line (BPL) or Scheduled Caste (SC) or Backward class (BC) category.
- The applicant must be availing of electricity from the State board.
- The applicant must have a sanctioned load of up to 1 kilowatt.
What are the benefits entailed under the LED Bulb yojana?
Once selected, the applicants will get the following benefits under the PSPCL Kifayati LED bulb yojana:
- The LED bulbs to be given under the scheme consumes 80-90% lesser electricity than other LED bulbs
- The LED bulbs given under the PSPCL yojana are long-lasting with up to 20,000 hours of running time
- There is no chance of these LED bulbs catching fire
- These LED bulbs offered by the state power board are 100% environment friendly.
- There is no use of mercury like CFL bulbs.
Procedure to apply for the Kifayati LED bulb yojana
The consumers can avail benefits of the Kifayati LED bulb yojana by contacting the concerned PSPCL office. In order to apply for the scheme, the applicants will ideally have to deposit a copy of their current bill, identity proof and a self undertaking.
After submitting the documents, applicants will have to deposit a nominal amount of ₹30. Once the payment is done successfully, 2 LED bulbs will be given to the consumer of BC, SC and BPL categories.
It should also be noted that the BPL, SC and BC categories of consumers of PSPCL up to 1 Kilowatt of connected load get electricity concession of ₹200 units per month.
Summing it up
The Punjab electricity board has taken up an innovative scheme to ensure that every household in Punjab gets affordable lighting solutions so that their day does not end right when the sunsets. Electricity offers extra time to students to catch up with their studies and for elders to run errands and chores in the house.
Truly, electricity and lighting are symbols of progress and the Punjab government is ensuring that this symbol reaches every household.