The welfare of the people is the prime goal of every government. In order to reflect its ambition towards bettering public welfare, the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana came to be. The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is a welfare scheme that aims to provide LPG connections to Below Poverty Line households.
Objectives of the scheme
People from below the poverty line cannot afford cleaner sources of cooking fuels and rely on unclean sources like firewood, which not only poses a threat to their health but of all those in the vicinity.
Other objectives of the scheme include:
- Empowering women and protecting their health
- Reducing health hazards that arise due to unclean cooking which is based on fossil fuel burning
- Reducing the number of deaths in India due to unclean cooking fuels
- Preventing young children from being exposed to the possibility of contracting acute respiratory illnesses which are caused due to indoor air pollution.
- The applicant’s name should be in the list of SECC-2011 data or should be a beneficiary of PMAY-G, BPL ration cardholder, IAY Beneficiary, or Antyodaya ann Yojana, etc.
- The applicant should be a woman over the age of 18 years
- The applicant should belong to the Below Poverty Line segment
- The applicant’s household should not already own an LPG connection in anyone’s name
- The applicant should have a savings bank account in any nationalized bank across the nation
Wrapping it up
In an attempt to offer access to cleaner fuels used to cook, the Government of India designed a perfect plan that benefits millions of households all across the nation and impact innumerable lives.