The PMSSY envisages the creation of tertiary healthcare capacity in medical education, research and clinical care, in the underserved areas of the country. It aims at correcting regional imbalances in the availability of affordable/reliable tertiary healthcare services and also augmenting facilities for quality medical education in the country. The Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) was announced in 2003 with the objectives of correcting regional imbalances in the availability of affordable/ reliable tertiary healthcare services and also to augment facilities for quality medical education in the country.
PMSSY has two components:-
(i) Setting up of AIIMS like Institutions
Each New AIIMS to add:-
- State of the art Modular OTs and diagnostics facilities.
- 15-20 super specialty departments.
- 750 Beds.
- 100 UG (MBBS) seats.
- 60 B.Sc. (Nursing ) seats.
- Focus on PG education and Research.
Total 22 new AIIMS have been announced so far under this component:-
- 6 AIIMS are already functional.
- 16 more AIIMS are announced. Out of which 15 AIIMS are approved by the Cabinet.
(ii) Upgradation of Government Medical College(GMC)/ Institutions.
Each up-gradation project would be adding:-
- 8-10 Super Speciality Departments.
- Around 15 new PG seats.
- 150-250 beds
75 Projects have been considered under this component under different phases:-
For more information click here.