Changing climatic conditions impact farmers more than anyone else. It impacts their livelihood and their sustenance and affects their lives in ways unimaginable. For an agrarian nation like India, that may not be a good thing, as in a larger scheme of things, it impacts our national economy too.
In order to make farmer’s lives easier, the central government of India launched the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme.
What does the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme offer?
The primary objective of the scheme is to offer distraught farmers financial assistance to help them get through tough times and not fall into an ocean of debt time and again.
Other objectives include:
- The scheme exists to increase the income of Small and Marginal Farmers (SMFs)
- The scheme aims to support the financial needs of the SMFs in getting various inputs to ensure proper crop health and appropriate yields
- The scheme also aims to protect SMFs from getting into scams set out by Moneylenders for meeting expenses and to ensure a healthy livelihood for all farmers across the nation.
In order to avail the benefits of the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme, the applicant has to:
- Have the landowner’s name and gender registered in the governmental database
- The social classification should be Scheduled tribe
- The applicant should have an Aadhaar Number, bank account number and mobile number, etc
- Land record details
- The scheme is primarily sponsored by the central government of India and therefore the farmers essentially have to be citizens of India.